CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 13, 2009

Catching Up

It's been difficult to keep up. We were on the road for 6 days, Monday through Saturday of last week. We took every possible mode of transportation to get to Paris. Car, train, bus, plane, and subway. That was a long & interesting day. Our first full day in Paris we did a "hop-on, hop-off" walking/bus tour. It was nice to be able to do it our way. We traveled through the city, shopped, ate, a took plenty of pictures. The people in France were not as unfriendly as I had suspected, although people in Europe seem to be fairly rude in general. Strange, I did not think that Americans would ever look so polite. I'll be glad to get away from that. I could likely blow a gasket soon!


From the bottom of the Eiffel Tower




Protesters


Lunch at Hard Rock


On the tour bus







After two nights in Paris we moved onto Venice. I was very excited to get to Venice, little did I know I would practically wear the rubber sole right off my shoes with all the walking. I have been recovering since we got back. Every muscle and joint in my body was sore from all the hiking through the city. It takes about 10 seconds to get thoroughly lost in Venice. Maps are nearly useless. I'm not even sure I can explain how awful that part is, but for the first two days I endured it by enjoying all the scenery. I was pretty disappointed with the food in Venice. Maybe my expectations were too high, although nothing could excuse the reheated TV dinner I received for dinner on our second night. We ordered at a local cafe type of place that we had been getting alcohol from, to take back to the hotel with us. When I got back and took my spaghetti out of the white paper bag it was wrapped up in, i found a plastic container with a peel-away lid and the most inexcusably disgusting spaghetti I have ever seen. IN ITALY! I couldn't have been more disappointed. I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Italy and eat authentic Italian food, like the things my Grandma would make when I was a kid. I got nothing even close.

I still enjoyed Venice.. There was a lot of great shopping and of course the city was beautiful. By the time we left I was more than ready to go, since I was completely BEAT from all the walking. Rob thinks we must have walked nearly 20 miles on our last day there. We walked the entire "island" from morning to night. Part of it was shopping and walking aimlessly and part of it was getting lost, trying to find our way back. It's not hard to do, as I said before.




More to come..

Saturday morning we started our journey home, to Czech Republic. We had to walk to the water bus station and take the boat to the bus station, then we took the bus to the airport approx 40 minutes away, then flew to Prague, took another bus to a metro station and took that to a train station. We took a high speed train back to Olomounc, which is the closest city to where Rob's parents live. Everyone was there to greet us so I ran like hell to grab my Addy and smother her in kisses! The drive back to the house is about an hour and once we finally arrived it was nice!

The next day was Easter! I woke up and gave Addy her easter basket, that I brought from home and later we did a little easter egg hunt in the back yard. It was fun, Addy liked finding the eggs and putting them in her basket. She started doing it right away without any guidance! She likes to collect things lately. We went back into the city that day to go to the local malls. There were still some things I wanted to shop for.

Today some more of the family came over to visit. Robs Aunt & Uncle haven't seen him since he was about Addy's age. His cousin who is about a year younger than he is had never met him. His cousin spoke English, as most of the younger people here do, but his Aunt & Uncle don't, so of course I did not understand most of the conversation.

We haven't yet loaded the pictures from our journey so, those I will have to post later. Tomorrow morning we leave to go back to Prague, where Rob's sister is meeting us all and we will stay there for two nights before we fly home. I'm trying NOT to think about that, just yet!

That's all for now. Soon, we'll be home!!

0 comments: